Sunday, October 17, 2010

Solutions to My Social Problem

                As you read last week, I chose to do capital punishment, or the death penalty, for my social problem.  A lot of people agree that the death penalty needs to be stopped.  Other people believe that it is a good thing and that the person deserves to be punished in this way.  I have really never had an opinion about the death penalty before because I did not care either way if the person had to live in prison for life or if they had to die because of what they did.  Either way I see both of those options as justice and I think that they should get what they deserve.  Since this assignment is about trying to find ways to fix this problem, I will write it from the point of view that is against the death penalty.
                A very common option in this society is to protest anything that we do not like.  However, something as big as the death penalty needs more than just a few protesters standing up for what they believe in.  If I was the leader of a group who wanted to stop the death penalty, I would suggest that we have a meeting with the Supreme Court.  This is only a baby step that we could take in order to keep the death penalty from happening, but if we got enough people, they could listen.  I would first propose the idea that if we stopped the death penalty, it would be a lot cheaper.  It costs more to set up the court dates and determine what the proper action is for the death penalty, than it is to put someone in prison for life.  Even though there is limited space, there are places all over the world that we could send these inmates to do their time.
                I really cannot see people getting too crazy about trying to stop the death penalty.  I know that there are strong believers out there who think it is wrong, but I think that the majority of the people in this world like having justice and they could care less either way.  I could be totally wrong about this, but in my opinion this is based on what I have heard and seen.  Not too many times have a heard of a lot of controversy over the death penalty.  Like I said before, I do not enjoy watching the news, but my dad tells me a lot of what is going on and I rarely hear anything about the death penalty.  This is why it is hard for me to think of ways to stop this problem because I do not think the issue is big enough to cause a war.  I will say that if people protest about this issue, they could get thrown in jail, get fined, or even have someone inflict violence on them because they disagree with their beliefs.  Those are probably the worst things that could happen.
                As far as I know, there has never been a Civil War over little issues such as the death penalty.  I do know that the people who are going to be executed at the Greensville Correctional Center, there will be protesters who stand outside of the building.  This protesting has never kept anyone from being executed.  The reason why some states do not have the death penalty is because the majority of the society thinks that it is considered cruel and unusual punishment.  These states had to get rid of the death penalty for this reason because the Constitution says that anything considered being cruel and unusual punishment must be banned. 
                If we want to get rid of the death penalty in the entire nation, our best bet is to take a poll or vote on how many people think that the death penalty is considered to be cruel and unusual punishment.  Until the majority agrees that the death penalty is wrong, I do not think that there is anything that can be done about it.  I fully support the people who want to protest this issue because I think it is great that they have the guts to go out there and show what they think is right and wrong.  I don’t see anything wrong with putting your life on the line for something you feel strongly about because I know that I would never have enough guts to actually do anything like that myself.  Unfortunately, there just aren’t enough people/reasons to get rid of it in all of the states. 

No comments:

Post a Comment