Sunday, September 19, 2010

Living My Life to the Fullest

                In order for me to fully live my life I need to have good friends, a job that I love, and a personal life that calms me when I am feeling stressed.  I am almost living my life to the fullest except for some minor details.  I am still living at home, so I don’t have the opportunity to be quite independent just yet, but I do have wonderful parents to come home to everyday who support me in any way possible which is really lucky.  I do happen to love both of my jobs which are Victoria’s Secret and taking care of three children when they get home from school on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  I know that I will also love my future job which is hopefully going to be a career as a second grade teacher.  My personal life does usually calm me down when I am feeling stressed because my family and friends help with that so I can’t really complain there.  I also get fulfillment from my life when I come home from school or work and my dog and cat are both there to greet me.  Even when I am having a bad day, they love me no matter what and that’s really the best kind of love anyone can ask for.  The only really “bad” thing that has happened to me recently was my break up with my boyfriend of three years.  I almost had the life that I have been wanting up until that happened.  Now things are getting better and I am starting to realize that there are more things to life than love, but it is nice to have that feeling for another person and for them to have it for you.  Luckily, we are still friends and we still care about each other which does not happen too often in most relationships that have recently ended.
                I think that I have let the break up get in the way of me living my life to the fullest because there was a long period of time where I was feeling miserable for myself because I was still grieving.  It obviously was not a mutual decision, but I have now realized that I just wasted three months of my life trying to fix something that just isn’t going to work.  I think that everyone needs their time to grieve over losing someone they love, but there comes a time when you need to start focusing on yourself again and doing things that are going to benefit you and what you want to accomplish out of life.  In order for me to live the life that I desire, I need to overcome the obstacle of my relationship ending by focusing on my jobs and my schoolwork.  If I can really focus on these two things, I am that much closer to having the job that I ultimately want and the life that I ultimately want.  Even though I dread going to work some days, I always have a good time once I get there and I feel good about my accomplishments for the day when I get home.  My babysitting job allows me to have experience with the age group that I want to teach in the future, and it will look good on my resume when it is time for me to look for a teaching job.  As for my schoolwork, I do not enjoy waking up early to go to class and I do not enjoy doing homework every night, but I know that if I make good grades, I am one step closer to becoming a teacher.  Ultimately, my future career is what motivates me to do well in school as well as the support that I get from my parents.    
                Thoreau wants us to live our life to the fullest and for ourselves so that we can become the best version of ourselves.  I do think that I could try harder to live my life to the fullest and I guess that is something that I could work a little harder on.  I find that I don’t stop to enjoy the smaller things in life.  For instance, going for a walk, taking a little nap in the afternoon, or even going to get my nails done are all small things that I do, I just don’t really take the time to realize how nice it is to do those things.  Every day when I wake up, I need to think about how Thoreau looked at his life and begin each day living the way that he believes each person should live.

2 comments:

  1. Kelsey: It sounds like you know what you need to do. I am very sorry about your break up I have been where you are and it took me a long time (much longer than you) to get over it. But I am now with someone that is so nice and loves me and does not take advantage of me. There is one out there for you!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I am definitely still not 100% over it by any means, but I am making progress every day and I can't wait to see what else is out there!

    ReplyDelete